Thursday, November 27, 2008

1st Annual Hensch Thanksgiving Day Brunch

So as you probably know, Travis and I are spending our Thanksgiving Day in Seattle. We have already celebrated in Minnesota with the family (with yummy food and great company) a few weeks ago. Travis can't travel around Thanksgiving because everyone has to be at the store on Black Friday. Stupid retail. I wasn't about to leave Travis alone on our first holiday out here, so here we are in Seattle. I decided to make us something special for Thanksgiving, even though it wasn't a turkey.

Well, to start off with, this is definitely no turkey deliciousness. However, it didn't seem to make sense to make a full turkey feast for just me and Travis. Particularly considering Travis is not a huge fan of the turkey day food goodness. It's just not his favorite. So then I would have spent all day cooking for food that gets a "it's alright, thanks, honey" response. Not going to happen.

Thus the 1st Annual Hensch Thanksgiving Day Brunch was born! I made a pan full of baked French toast, complete with homemade caramel sauce and pecans, potatoes O'Brien and breakfast sausages. I guess technically those are all breakfast foods, but I don't want to limit the time we can hold this now annual event, so it will remain titled "brunch". It was the first time I made the baked French toast dish, and I have some more modifications to make to it for the next time I make it (get ready, Lisa and B!) But overall, it was pretty good.
The hardest part of making this meal actually was not having the right kitchen tools. The temporary housing we have right now has fairly crappy and really basic kitchen supplies, and we are missing a lot of essentials in my opinion. We don't have a non-stick skillet, so the potatoes O'Brien didn't get crispy like I wanted them to. I couldn't make any eggs because I didn't have another pan to make them in. Kind of lame...I cannot WAIT to have my own kitchen stuff back. I have all sorts of good stuff that is just sitting in storage now.

I hope everyone is having a happy and fun Thanksgiving! We're going to watch some football and just chill here.

-SKH

4 comments:

Schmiddy said...

Sounds good! Sorry I texted so early today - didn't mean to wake you. Miss you today!

lschmid810 said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Have a great day! Your brunch sounds good!

Anonymous said...

Dear Samantha:
My recipe for corn pudding is easy. All you need is following...

1/2 Cup of Sugar (If you like it sweeter, I recommend 3/4 Cup instead)
6 Tblspn of Flour
2 Tspn Baking Powder
1 1/2 Tspn Salt (I use Kosher Salt but regular salt works too)
6 Large Eggs
2 Cups of Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 Cup of Melted Butter
2 Bags of Frozen Petite Yellow Corn (Defrosted/Drained)

Preheat oven at 350°

Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Butter the casserole dish before pouring in the ingredients. This gives it a nice buttery crust on the bottom.

Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes.

Depending on the consistency you like, you can keep it in the oven a little longer. I stick a fork in it once in a while to check if it's still soupy in the middle. I like mine a little on the firm side. My cousin likes hers a little mushier...

Esy-Peasy... Enjoy!

~ Chef Melanie

Luna said...

Thanks for the Christmas card! We got it yesterday. You must have gotten them in the mail early!

The French toast looks awesome!