Monday, May 5, 2008

BBQ sauce in jambalaya?

Don't doubt it until you've tried it! I was very surprised...I was checking out Yahoo's home page earlier today, and each Monday they post "7 easy recipes you could make tonight". Normally, when I check that out, I sort of laugh, because it either sounds terrible, or I'd have to buy all of the ingredients on the way home for work - boo on that. I need a tool where I can enter the food I have at home, and it comes back with a yummy recipe. Know of any??

Anyways, one of the recipes featured today actually sounded like it might almost work for me, though when I looked at it, it called for the items below. I've marked what I actually had, and what I had to substitute...this meal actually turned out pretty darn well. It actually tasted like jambalaya as well. Travis called it "good", so that's saying something.

-1 tablespoon oil - didn't use, I rarely use extra oil to cook
-1/2 pound hot Italian sausage, sliced, quartered - had! there was enough oil in these...I made a full pound
-1 medium onion, chopped - had! we almost always have onions around
-1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained - did not have, but I happened to have a cup and a half of diced tomatoes from tacos last week, so I added enough water to make it 14 ounces
-1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth - did not have, but made my own broth with water and chicken bouillon, that works like a dream
-1 medium green pepper, chopped - sort of had, I had a mix of diced stoplight peppers from taco night, that seems to be coming in handy here!
-1/2 cup KRAFT Original Barbecue Sauce - I actually used Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy, I'd recommend using their Devil's Spit or Texas Pit next time, a little less sweet
-1 pound frozen cooked shrimp, thawed - gross, yuck, yuck, I just used extra sausages
-2 cups MINUTE White Rice, uncooked - I don't use Minute Rice, so I used Uncle Ben's Converted Long Grain (still used 2 cups)

Essentially, you brown the sausage and onion, then add all the other stuff, and cook (covered) for 15-20 minutes. I added some chili powder and Mrs. Dash Spicy Blend to round off the seasoning. Add a salad (we did a blueberry poppyseed deal that I threw together), and you've got a full meal! Actually, now we have enough leftovers for the next few days, and I will probably even eat them. Next time I make this, I'll probably cut the recipe in half, similar to my stovetop lasagna.

Finally, an "easy" recipe that really was easy, and I had the food at home, AND only took 45 minutes from start to finish. Thank you, Yahoo! Anybody want some leftovers?

-SKH

2 comments:

Luna said...

That does sound good. And please explain the blueberry poppyseed salad!

Schmiddy said...

This so does NOT sound good. Lol.