Monday, March 24, 2008

Why Samantha is walking


So I am hoping to get a note from everyone on our team that gives some of the reason that we are each walking, but since I am me, I can start with myself. The most important reason I walk is for my sister, Amanda. Amanda is one of my favorite sisters (I happen to have two favorites, and two sisters, funny how that works out!) - that's a picture of her and her husband, Blair, when we were on vacation in Montreal, Quebec last summer.


Amanda was diagnosed with MS nearly 10 years ago (wow, has it been that long??). For those of you who don't know, multiple sclerosis is a chronic, often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system, which is made up of the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. Symptoms may be mild, such as numbness in the limbs, or severe, such as paralysis or loss of vision. The progress, severity, and specific symptoms of MS are unpredictable and vary from one person to another. Check out the National MS Society's site for more information on the disease. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-is-ms/index.aspx

While there is currently no cure for MS (and that's what we are working to change!), there are several forms of medicines that some people living with MS are using now. When I interview Amanda on this blog, we can talk a little bit about the medicines she's taken, and get some of her perspectives on MS. Well, and we'll find out what cool things have been happening in her life lately; it's important to note that while MS is a serious disease, it does not have to rule your life.

This is actually my fifth walk this year, and each year, I've been able to raise a little more than the year previous. I'll need to continue that trend this year...as a team, we gave ourselves a big goal, and I think that we will be able to reach it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can we contribute to your fundraising efforts?
-Hava

Samantha Hensch said...

You can go directly to our team page at the MS Society and contribute online!

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/amandajcr

Schmiddy said...

I'm walking too! It's my 10th year - can you believe that?