Monday, January 5, 2009

Seattle weekend rundown

So as you probably know, Lisa and Beth spent a long weekend in Seattle. Wahoo! I don't have all the photos that we took (we all did different shots on our cameras), but here is a weekend rundown and some of the photos. (I'm trying out Flickr, we'll see how I like it as a photo storing site.)

Wednesday: Because we closed on the house on Tuesday (yippee!), I was able to go to Macy's Furniture gallery and finalize the purchase of our dining room set and a great enormous armoire for the bedroom. After I took care of that, I headed over to the airport because Lisa and Beth arrive!

Sadly, the first thing Lisa and Beth saw in Seattle (after the airport) was a horrible car accident! This crazy pedestrian decided that he was going to impress his friends and walk across a busy highway against the light, in the rain, in the dark, while wearing dark clothes. He made it three quarters of the way across, but then got nailed by a car going over forty (the car wasn't speeding, the pedestrian was just in the wrong). Yikes!!!

So after that hullabaloo, I brought Lisa and Beth back to our house, or as they call it "McMansion". It was New Year's Eve, and we considered going to Seattle Center to watch then shoot fireworks off of the Space Needle, but it was raining, and Lisa wasn't feeling awesome, so we decided to stay home and resurrect Wandering Bront!! (John, Tracy, EJ - we missed our other bandmates.) I also made us some stir fry for dinner, and it was delicious.



100_1591 100_1592

We celebrated the New Year by watching the fireworks on TV - I think Lisa and Beth were unimpressed by the Seattle TV reporters...they were fairly terrible.

Thursday: On New Year's Day, all four of us headed down to the Seattle Center, and we hit up the Space Needle and Experience Music ProjectScience Fiction Hall of Fame. While it was too cloudy to see Mt. Rainier, I think that Lisa and Beth still got a pretty good view of the city. EMP/SFM was decent, but I had already been there (back in September), so it wasn't as cool.

For dinner, we went to a local restaurant at Kent Station called the Zephyr Grill and Bar, which was terrible. Seriously, it wasn't good. Travis and I will not be going there again, but it was worth a shot. Now we know!

Friday: On Friday morning, Lisa's cold had come on in full force, so she had to take a little break and try to get some rest. Beth and I drove over to Silverdale, which is on the western side of Puget Sound (about 60 miles away from Kent) because I needed to finalize the purchase of our kitchen table and living room set. All of the furniture will be delivered this week - sweet. On the way to Silverdale, we saw some really pretty landscapes, because it had snowed the night before and all of the trees were coated in snow.


Beth also got to go over the Tacoma Narrows bridge. While we were in the middle of the bridge, I think Beth realized how she recognized the name Tacoma Narrows. Yikes. Anyways, they rebuilt the bridge, and we made it over safely (twice) and we got some pictures. Well, Beth took the pictures, I drove.

100_1607 100_1608 100_1639

After getting the furniture all taken care of, Beth and I were famished, so we went to this Mongolian Grill (like Khan's, but clean!) I don't remember what it was called, but it was delicious. Beth got her food, then proceeded to make a mess of their counter with the sauces. 100_1633 100_1634

My food was great:


Beth has now been from Phoenix, Arizona all the way to Tacoma, Philadelphia, Atlanta, LA. In case you were wondering. And yes, we did sing that. :)

On Friday afternoon, after we came back from Silverdale, we spent "five minutes" (aka forty minutes) helping Travis install our surround sound in the living room, and then we headed downtown Seattle to go to Pike's Place Market. We got there around 4 pm, and got to see a beautiful sunset on Elliott Bay. I think Lisa and Beth enjoyed the Market. They did get to see the fish, and took quite a few pictures of the Market decorated for the holidays. (Sadly, I don't have those pictures on my Flickr...maybe Lisa and Beth should upload their photos to Flickr too, then I can post those pics in here.)

We indulged in some incredible crepes while at Pike's Place. I had a strawberry creme one, Lisa had a Nutella and banana one, and Beth had a cinnamon one. 100_1654

They were good, and we polished them off:


We had Chipotle for dinner, and somehow, by some weird cosmic influence, the Chipotle at Kent Station literally did not have the food to make burritos. (How can Chipotle be out of tortillas AND salsa?!) We had to drive back to Tukwila to get the delicious Chipotle that we had planned on. (I just realized that we had crepes and Chipotle on the same night, wow. Impressive.)

Saturday: On Saturday, we slept in and I made the crew a scrumptious breakfast of thick, fluffy waffles, bacon and Beth showed me how to make these great (and easy!) potato slices. (Yes, they are pretty much as easy as they sound.) Lisa, Beth and I headed downtown Seattle again because we wanted to go on the Underground Tour. After we bought our tickets for the tour, we had about an hour to kill, so we walked up the hill (sorry, Lisa, it was hard for sickie McGee to breathe!) and I showed the ladies my office. No Rainier view on Saturday, it was too cloudy. (I had Lisa and Beth on the lookout for Rainier for the entire trip, it's really an impressive site when it is visible!) We also went to the Seattle Mystery Bookshop, and I picked up a book for my friend Luna because it made me think of her. (Luna, expect that to come in the mail sometime this week... I hope you don't have this one yet!) Mom would really love this bookstore; we'll have to go when she is in town for Easter.

After the excellent tour, we went over to Magic Mouse Toys and played with all sorts of great toys. I ended up buying Ninja a squiggle ball, and a game called Smart Ass, which we played at dinner and at home.

For dinner, we went to a restaurant in Pioneer Square called DeNunzio's. Our waiter was hilarious. He literally made Lisa spit out her gum into a napkin (which he held while she spit and then carried away). He made our dinner very fun. The most hysterically funny portion of the evening was definitely when Beth literally spit her gulp of water all over me. And Lisa's arm. Apparently, I am funny (I don't even remember what made her spit up, actually.) I laughed so hard it hurt.

All in all, the weekend was really great. I'm sad that Lisa wasn't feeling well, but I hope that she still enjoyed visiting and seeing Seattle. I was really glad to have company here, and it was just a ton of fun. I can't wait for their next visit!

Whew, I am tired after just writing about all we did, and I didn't even post pictures from everything (because I don't have them as of now)! Hope you enjoyed learning about our escapades in the Seattle region!!



BTAN said...

I have flickr already, we should link up and I will put up new pictures. You are hillarious, I don't remember what you said but I will buy you a rain coat for the next time we hang out. Miss you tons! Thanks for having me out for a visit!

Schmiddy said...

I will also get my pics up soon - sorry for the delay. I love and miss you. Thanks so much for hosting us!

Luna said...

A book for me?? I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks!!

gruidl said...

I just can't imagine a clean Khans...