Sunday, January 11, 2009

On a food mission

Well folks, I am on a food mission. I am trying to find some new dishes to add to our old standbys that are tasty, easy, fast and relatively healthy. I usually make dinner at home 4-5 times a week, and we don't generally eat leftovers here, so I am going to try to be as careful as possible to make only enough for just Travis and I.

I am accepting all idea submissions :) Keep in mind that I will generally want to make these on a weeknight, where time and energy are both in low supply. To give you an idea of what is on our "old standby" list, here are some of the things I make at least once or twice a month:

-stovetop lasagna (this is Travis' favorite)
-porkchops sauteed in cream of mushroom soup with stuffing and veggies
-fajitas
-enchiladas
-stir fry (any kind of meat, some stir frying sauce, and any kind of vegetables, served over rice...it's never the exact same flavors, but it is fairly close each time)
-chili
-grilled meat plus flavored rice (sounds original, doesn't it?)

Yesterday, I started my mission by preparing halibut in spicy squash and tomatoes. I know, crazy, Samantha making fish at home? And it wasn't tuna casserole?! People, I am trying to branch out here! Here are a few pictures of what the halibut dish looked like while in process as well as the end result:





I thought it turned out pretty darn good - the jalopeno pepper give the overall dish a bit of a kick, and I enjoyed it. I told Travis that I would order it in a restaurant!

Tonight, I am going to try to make risotto, which I have never prepared at home, but generally love in restaurants. I am pretty excited, the recipe I am going to try is a garlic asparagus risotto, and I am going to make garlic chicken breasts to go along with it. (Travis wouldn't be too thrilled if a meal didn't have some form of meat in it, so that is why I am making chicken, too.)

If you have any suggestions or ideas, let me know! Wish me luck on the risotto :)

-SKH

3 comments:

Al Iverson said...

Oh, yum, the fish looks good.

Schmiddy said...

Looks good - sorry I have few ideas to add. I eat a lot of soup if B doesn't cook. Sad, but true.

Luna said...

Oh boy! This is my specialty. I think I'll email you since it'd take up way more room than a blog comment usually should. ;-)